【Hiding】

Another day, another face, another feeling. Released from my peaceful slumber, I became faced with the challenge of deciding the day’s fate. Before me lay the common array of possibility, the smiles, the pouts, scowls, tears, the reality. I left the latter long ago, for its shape proves far more ugly than I’d prefer to express. The rich, ripe plum hues streaked below the eyes, creases pulling the corners of nearly every feature south bound with age. Those once youthful eyes glazed and deep set into the skull, a sullen, forlorn look frozen within their stature. Muscles deceased, having failed to change the pace of expression for longer than time allows.
Post coating reality with distorting and concealing latex glue, with time and utmost precision, I carefully apply contentment in its place. My most common expression under the low held sun, not bright enough to allow glistening over mistakenly placed adhesive.
Perhaps tomorrow I’ll wear happiness, though the eyes never sit quite right.

Comments